- SH Society
- About Us
- Community Curating
Sitka Historical Society & Museum Internship
Deadline to Apply: NA to be posted until filled
Dates of Internship: Mid January 2013 - May 2013
Schedule: Full-time Monday through Friday 9:00-5:00 and some special events
Stipend offered: Academic Credit and Free Housing
The Museum Intern will be integral to the process of cataloguing artifacts, archival documents, and photographs, and assisting with the Museums Alaska/Alaska Historical Society Conference in early October. Additional responsibilities will include preparation for upcoming exhibits, specifically those related to the new Community Curating Program, and general collections management activities such as monitoring and recording environmental controls, and improving storage and lighting conditions.
The intern must be currently pursuing a degree in Museum Studies or a related field such as history, anthropology, etc. The intern should have some experience in a museum setting. Preference will be given to applicants with PastPerfect database experience and experience planning/hosting large events such as conferences.
· Cataloguing artifacts, archival documents, and photographs into the PastPerfect Database
· Attend once-a-month Collections Committee meetings and once-a-month Board meetings, whenever possible
· Meet with donors and Curator to discuss new acquisitions (if interested in such opportunities)
· Respond to research requests/photo requests from the general public, when assigned
Help Curator prepare for Community Curating exhibits.
Potential areas for assistance include planning, marketing, press releases,
Community Curating rubric template development, partaking in Community Curating
panel discussions (upon formation of the panel) and assisting with judging
on the rubric; exhibit installation and de-installation, special reception logistics.
· Assist Curator with monitoring temperature and relative humidity levels via hygrothermometers and hobo readers
· Assist Curator with monitoring for pests with a new Integrated Pest Management Plan
· Scanning photographs and taking photographs will be a regular part of the cataloguing process
· Assisting with research requests
Note: Prior to beginning the internship, the intern must
complete paperwork for a background check. (Per the Sitka Historical Society
Personnel Policy, all staff, including the Executive Director and Curator,
volunteers, must undergo this regular background check. Although it may take several weeks to process, the internship can commence as long as the process has been initiated. The Sitka Historical Society will pay for the cost of the background check.)
How to Apply
To apply, email a cover letter, C.V., and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org