- SH Society
- About Us
- Community Curating
The Sitka Historical Museum is a history museum in Sitka, Alaska with a focus on interpreting Sitka and Southeast Alaska’s history. Known as the only museum in Sitka that contains elements of all of Sitka’s history, the Sitka Historical Museum has exhibits, photographs, artifacts, and archives related to Sitka’s Tlingit, Russian, and American history, and particularly, the period surrounding and following Alaska’s 1867 transfer from Russia. The breadth of history interpreted makes the Museum a great first stop for travelers to orient themselves to Sitka.
Museum staff can provide answers to historical questions, interpret artifacts and relay tales of the unique individuals who have made Sitka a very special destination for the visitor. The museum also has a small gift shop featuring a choice selection of historical books about Sitka, locally created Tlingit art, and a great variety of reasonably priced gifts, including hand-made wooden Russian Matryoshka nesting dolls.
The Sitka Historical Museum is operated by the Sitka Historical Society, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and is located in Harrigan Centennial Hall at 330 Harbor Drive in downtown historic Sitka.
The mission of the Sitka Historical Society is to preserve and promote the events, stories and artifacts of the human history of the Sitka area for the inspiration, education and benefit of the public and future generations.
The Sitka Historical Society is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization. At the time of its founding, the Society did not have a dedicated space to store and exhibit its collections, but in 1967, with the major support of the City and Borough of Sitka and volunteers, including long-time Sitka resident, Isabel Miller, the collections were moved to their new home in Harrigan Centennial Hall and opened its doors to the public.
Photo Credit: St. Peter's by the Sea Church by Thomas Johnson, circa 1940 (PH7677); Tlingit Canoe in front of the Sitka Trading Post, circa 1898 (PH1179); Sitka from Castle Hill, circa 1880 (85.22.1); Sailors in front of Arrowhead Transfer by Frank Duffy, circa 1940 (89.36.46); and Baranov's Castle by Case & Draper, circa 1890 (PH520).
We are open Tuesday-Saturday 10 AM - 2 PM Hours
Interested in Becoming a